Tuesday 10 February 2009

oddities

When I tell people where I live, I get slightly odd looks and questions as to why I'm living in 'the ghetto'. Now, mindful of the definition: "a ghetto is an area, usually within a city, in which members of a particular cultural, ethnic, religious or national group live in high concentration" - simply read "foreigner". Anyway, I was waiting at the bus stop one snowy Thursday afternoon last week when from down across the road, snippets of a rather loud conversation could be heard. The group of us at the bus stop all turned to see where this was coming from, and noticed an older man, speaking into what looked to be a rather large mobile phone from a distance. He was merrily chattering away about terrorism, which websites it was important to look at ("make sure you put in .ch, not .com!") and other odd things, coming ever closer to us. It was then that we saw what he was actually doing.

Having a conversation with a bag of bananas.

He looked at us looking at him. He removed the bananas from his ear, looked at them, looked at us....then continued as before.

It made my day.